As I stated in the title of my blog, the goal of this blog is to focus on Society’s Building Blocks, Critically Thinking About Things That Change Society and this topic is another one of those hard for some people to talk about building block topics that I think should be critically thought about. This IS something that can change our society and I don’t give a damn if you don’t like talking or thinking about it.
I’ve been noticing an interesting trend over the last ten years that has grown exponentially over the last couple of years, that trend is the migration away from portraying heterosexual relationships in modern cinema, theater, television and general entertainment and a blatantly obvious shift to portraying lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender relationships. I’m not here to convince you one way or the other about this trend, I’m here to voice my opinion about the trend, it’s entirely up to you to make up your own mind based on available information.
In a recent blog post titled What’s Considered Normal I openly questioned what is considered normal and abnormal in relation to the LGBT community and the rest of our culture and society.
So to recap that blog post, what is normal?
Here are three relatively simple definitions I found online for the word normal:
- Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
- Conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern: characterized by that which is considered usual, typical, or routine.
- If something conforms to a general pattern, standard, or average, we describe it as normal.
If we can ask and answer the question as to what’s considered normal then we can also ask and answer the question as to what’s considered abnormal. Here are three definitions I found online…
- Deviating from what is normal or usual.
- Not normal, average, typical, or usual.
- Something that is abnormal is out of the ordinary, or not typical.
What I’m seeing in the entertainment world from my perspective is that well over a third maybe even approaching or exceeding a half of the relationships portrayed are LGBT in nature. In some shows the LGBT relationships are really, really in-your-face and intentionally over emphasized with explicit scenes (not X-rated) and heterosexual relationships seem to be pushed to the back burner and almost entirely ignored. These are actual observations. I’m seeing these trends in advertisements, streaming movies, streaming series, reality television shows, even news coverage, etc, etc.
In my What’s Considered Normal blog post I also stated that the total number of LGBT in the USA is about 3.8% of adults which leaves 96.2% that are heterosexual and I provided a link to support the statistics. If we were to apply those percentages across the board to our entire culture and society then I would expect to see roughly the same kind of percentages portrayed in our entertainment, but that’s no longer true, in fact it is now very skewed in favor of LGBT relationships.
Now I think we’ve all heard that in some ways what we see in our entertainment world can normalize certain things in our society and can actually drive social trends but I really don’t know if that is statistically provable; however, if it does normalize and drive social trends then what we are seeing being intentionally normalized is so far off what’s actually considered “normal” in our society with regard to the LGBT community that I think there is some obvious virtue signaling motivation behind it. It’s beginning to appear that our entertainment industry is trying to make that which is not “the norm” appear as if it is “the norm” and that is intentional manipulation. Intentionally presenting manipulating misrepresentations of our society is a lie. Not being “the norm” is not a judgement on right or wrong, it simply means that it’s not “the norm”, but intentionally lying about “the norm” to virtue signal and manipulate is wrong.
We have a politically charged environment and so many people seem to be looking for anything that supports their bias and they can promote that as propaganda and this trend is no different, it’s pure propaganda.
Now for the rhetorical question…
Is the trend of advertisements, news coverage, streaming movies, streaming series, reality television shows, etc to wildly over represent the LGBT community unethical manipulation?
Read my commenting policies before submitting a comment.
If this is you after reading this post…
…please wait until your anger subsides before posting a comment.
Remember, don’t shoot the messenger.