Here is something that deeply infects our society and divides us along what appears to be a line that’s becoming socially fuzzy, it’s the line where logic meets biased non-logic, common sense meets biased absurdity, and critical thinking meets pure reactionary bias. The result seems to be emotional hysteria and tunnel vision that’s all guided by pure unadulterated bias. Basically bigotry with a strong component of hysteria.
Bigoty: obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.
What is normal?
Here are three relatively simple definitions I found online for the word normal:
- Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
- Conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern : characterized by that which is considered usual, typical, or routine.
- If something conforms to a general pattern, standard, or average, we describe it as normal.
If we can ask and answer the question as to what’s considered normal then we can also ask and answer the question as to what’s considered abnormal. Here are three definitions I found online…
- Deviating from what is normal or usual.
- Not normal, average, typical, or usual.
- Something that is abnormal is out of the ordinary, or not typical.
Now that we’ve gotten those definitions out of the way we get to the part where we can easily identify emotional hysteria and tunnel vision that’s all guided by pure unadulterated bias.
When sharing some of his purely bigoted displeasure of Republicans in a blog post about the resolutions at the Texas Republican Party state convention, Gregory Humphrey of Caffeinated Politics blog wrote the following in his blog titled “Reasonable Conservatives Not In Fashion With Today’s Republican Party“…
Having displayed their zeal to hold onto the mantle of absurdity they then moved on to also proving to be purely preposterous. That was achieved by voting on a platform that criticized homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice.”Greg Humphrey
Preposterous: contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.
I cherry picked this section out of his blog post because it caught my attention in a way that Humphrey probably wouldn’t have expected and because it reflects a symptom of a rapidly changing society. Humphrey intentionally pre dispositions us by saying that Republicans are absurd and then categorizes something as preposterous before telling us what that something is. Well folks, that something he’s labeling as preposterous is the use of the word abnormal as it is applied to homosexuality.
Now it’s time to find out what’s really considered “normal” and “abnormal” as it’s related to homosexuality and to do that we need to do a little research.
SIDE NOTE: I have no problem with individuals choosing a homosexual lifestyle, their personal lifestyle is none of my damn business and my personal lifestyle is none of their damn business. When personal character and integrity is at the top of the list of importance, homosexual lifestyle and/or heterosexual lifestyle becomes damn near irrelevant.
I asked a question to Google about how many gays there are in the USA and got this as the top search link: How Many People Are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender. According to the key findings in the brief at that website there are “an estimated 3.5% of adults in the United States identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual and an estimated 0.3% of adults are transgender”. So the total of LGBT in the USA is about 3.8% of adults in the USA, that leaves 96.2% that are heterosexual.
According to Google “In 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau counted 331.4 million people living in the United States; more than three-quarters (77.9%) or 258.3 million were adults, 18 years or older — a 10.1% increase from 234.6 million in 2010.”
So we have a study that’s using some form of statistical analysis to come up with their percentages, I don’t know how accurate it is but what’s perfectly clear is that the vast majority of adults in the United States do not sexually identify with the LGBT community. If identifying as LGBT was actually normal then some kind of “majority”, as in something close to the average half or better, of adults would be identifying as LGBT, that is simply not the case. There is nothing in that statistical analysis that could possibly be twisted into labeling the LGBT community as being normal; therefore, using the word abnormal seems to be definitively correct, even though the implications of being called abnormal are sometimes demeaning. Then again sometimes people mislabel a logical and factual argument or statement as being “preposterous”, “verbally berate” (#Gregory Humphrey) because their bigoted bias cannot see beyond their tunnel vision and anything Republicans say or do is, by default, evil.
If you read Humphrey’s blogs it becomes clear that he’s bigoted against Republicans in general with rare exceptions, very very rare indeed, and it’s clear in our society there are people that would be bigoted against Humphrey for his personal lifestyle choice. If you read a lot of my blog it should become clear that I’m bigoted against the actions of social justice political foot soldiers and their political equivalent of extreme progressives politicians. Yes bigotry abounds. Overall, I think bigotries are bad and some are so bad that they’re completely off the rails of reality because there’s no factual basis for their bigotry, it’s delusion based bigotry, they think it, so therefore it is, even when facts literally contradict the bias.
Using the word “abnormal” in the resolution that Texas Republicans drafted about homosexual lifestyle might have been technically accurate and benign but it seems to have been twisted by people like Humphrey who are bastardizing the definitions of words into implying a hateful, derogatory, condemning and inflammatory word in this context even it if it truly wasn’t. If the Texas Republicans disagree with the homosexual lifestyle then I suggest they stop their nonsensical virtue signaling and get the fuck over it and then move the fuck on, there are real issues in our society to deal with and this doesn’t rank in the top one hundred. Politicians on both sides of the political aisle need to get their collective heads out of their asses.
Also; if people, like Humphrey, would take a moment and look outside their tunnel vision and beyond their biased bigotry into real logic, common sense and critical thinking they might find a simple reason to agree. Instead many of them launch themself into a bigoted biased reactionary tirade of hysteria that’s socially divisive. Furthermore; to the extreme political left, the right kind of reaction wouldn’t push forward their four tenets of “truth”…
- The left is right.
- The right is wrong.
- Wrong is evil.
- Evil must be destroyed.
…that’s the dead end of the 21st century extreme progressives’ ability to think critically.